Sunday 8 November 2015

Yuri Manga Review: B.G.M.R.S.P.

Also known as: Bousou Girls-teki Mousou Renaiteki Suteki Project. I came across this manga B.G.M.R.S.P. by Kwai Rou because it was recently updated on Dynasty Scans (haha I know I need to expand my reading horizon a bit more).

I shall just be upfront and say that this manga is an average read to me, and I would rate it maybe a 5/10. The manga has released 5 chapters translated to English on Dynasty Scans and is still on-going, last I checked.



The premise of the manga is somewhat similar to A Kiss and A White Lily (which I have reviewed previously, you can check it out here). I, being an adult working woman, am a sucker school life genre of mangas because it helps me re-live the past I never had. Anyways, the manga is centered around 2 protagonists, where 1 of them, Nakano Aoi, is a handsome "princely" sort of protagonist at the onset, while the other protagonist Shibuya Beniko is the all-rounded femme semi-tsundere character that excelled in everything she does but longs to "beat" Nakano Aoi in school.




The fact that they are childhood friends, and have been opposites of each other since young was also set out at the beginning of the manga. Both protagonists, I would say, are typical...Nakano Aoi was portrayed like the typical arrogant "prince" of the school, while Shibuya Beniko is your typical elitist character with a semi-tsundere side to her to give her a bit of that dark side...

The yuri in the manga is basically slow... the relationship between the 2 protagonists throughout the manga is literally like the screenshot below, which is from the first page of the manga. They are childhood friends with unrealised/undiscovered feelings for one another, so they literally behave like the kids they were despite being in high school already:


I have to say the art reminded me of another manga, Asago to Kase-san, because the "princely" character somehow reminded me of Kase-san, though the story is nothing like it. The fantastic-as-usual art won't disappoint, though.

The plot in the manga does not stay my interest for long as the supporting characters are hardly developed. They have unclear motive of doing what they do... while the 2 protagonists just go on mini battles so that Beniko and defeat her childhood friend. Seriously, the 2 biggest supporting characters (I cannot even remember their names despite writing this review straight after I have finished all 5 released chapters) have no rhyme or reason behind why they behave the way they do:



Good thing about the plot is that it hardly leaves any cliffhangers, usually a chapter is opened and concluded in the same chapter or the next.

The particular thing I liked about the manga's plot, despite the typical characters, uninteresting stories and undeveloped supporting cast, was that one of the chapters climaxed through the evolving dynamics between the 2 protagonists. It was like from this:

before:



after:

This is honestly the most radical transformation/ evolved dynamic that I have seen in a short 5 chapters manga so far, since I have started picking up yuri manga 3 months ago.

TLDR: I would recommend the manga as a short, average school life read that will surprise you in one of the chapters. But aside from that, the manga is still pretty average, though the cast is seriously sub-par.

Incidentally, I wonder how old are my blog readers? (leave a comment if you feel brave enough :) )

No comments:

Post a Comment