Wednesday 14 October 2015

Yuri Manga Review: As Yet I Have No Name

Thinking I should really start reviewing mangas the moment I finish them, as a way to remember I've actually read this before. Ha ha.

Anyways, the manga for today would be As Yet I Have No Name by Kazuma Kowo. There's a total of 3 chapters + 2 extras in the series. (http://dynasty-scans.com/series/as_yet_i_have_no_name)



Another strange manga that I would tell you right now I rate it 5/10 (read only if you are bored and have some free time).

Let me start out by saying that I have never heard of the author until today when I read this. But checking her profile out, I realise the author was the same author as Pure Adolescence Water, which was one of the yuri mangas that I know a few bloggers out there would rate it as amongst their top 10 or 20 manga. I have yet to try that manga, so I can't really say much about it. But don't worry reader, I will review it when I do.

When I came across this manga randomly on Dynasty Scans, can't say I had high hopes because I simply didn't like the way one of the protagonist was drawn to be so masculine that I easily mistook it for a hetero couple. But seeing how Haruka was so masculine in Sailor Moon, I decided to give it a try. But the more I read the manga, the more the whole manga felt like a fanfiction of Haruka and Michiru, just drawn with new characters.

You might wonder why did I draw that reference?

For starters, the long-haired protagonist, Kisaragi, was literally observing the other protagonist, Amamori, with a strange obsession, like how a lot of fanfiction writers envision Michiru to be with Haruka.



But the manga takes a strange turn when a normally rude gesture is somehow portrayed as cute and "relationship-building" which I cannot comprehend.



Why on earth is forgetting someone's name cute?

Anyways, for those who just want to know if the story ended well, let's just say it manages to tie up some loose ends nicely... which is probably why I would give it a 5/10 and not lower.

But I have to say the art is fantastic, the details and quality is not a let down at all. Pity about the character and story though...

Well, TL;DR: Try is if you are looking for something short and yuri while you are bored and you have some spare time.

No comments:

Post a Comment